Monday, July 18, 2005

Cytoxan, no more

My last post should have read "THIRD CYCLE UNDERWAY."

Today was my fifth and final treatment of the chemo drug "Cytoxan." Don't you just love the way it sounds? It's almost as good as calling a drug "Toxic" or something.

I spent this weekend in the hospital getting treatments since of course the doctors office is closed on the weekends. More run around from the hospital. This time, too many nurses were on vacation so I had to wait until the afternoon to get anything done. They only had one nurse who was chemo certified so I had to wait around for her. Anyway, I finally made it through and was back at the doctors office this morning.

Feeling OK so far. I wouldn't say I feel "good"--but doing everything the 2nd time around has been a bit better. I know what to expect more and I know what do when something goes wrong. I found out on my own that one drug they were giving me for nausea actually made me sick--so this time around I am not taking it and doing better.

I head back to the hospital this weekend for the 24 hour drip of methotrexate. Let's hope that this time isn't so bad and they get me started on time. (It's a pain because I have to give a urine sample every single time I go to tha bathroom). I only have 2 more hospital stays so I am really looking forward to that.

Saturday, at the hospital, I had another spinal tap and so far no spinal headache from that. So overall, I can't complain, this certainly is not turning out to piece a cake--but it's something I have been able to handle. The hardest part is keeping your spirits up when you feel so bad. Call me conceited but I think to myself: "most people out there really wouldn't have the guts to handle something like this. Even those who think they are really tough."

By the way, I haven't really lost any weight so besides the fact that my hair fell out, if you saw me, you probably wouldn't notice I looked that much different.