Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Back from hospital stay #3

Well... I made it. 6 days at the hospital and I'm able to talk about it.

Overall, it wasn't too bad of an experience. The great news is that while I still have to go to the doctor's office for Rituxan--no more chemo for 3 weeks! I am sure my body will be thankful. Then I just do everything I have from the beginning and then I am DONE.

My main side effect now is just feeling nauseated and lack of appetite. I don't know if it's that I feel good or I've just gotten used to feeling bad that I just kind of accept it. I also have lost feeling at my fingertips and feet.

Again for this hospital stay, it took them hours to get started. Once they gotted started everything went fairly smoothly. Some of the nurses are much better than the others.. and I really worked hard to keep all of them on their toes. My treatment was very detailed and confusing, and I had to make sure they made no mistakes. One nurse told me that I thought her a lot! Ha...

Last night, I got very angry with one of the ladies that work at the front desk at the nurses station. When you hit the nurse call button, she is supposed to answer it and let the nurses that the patient needs attention. Well, this one lady takes her time answering (often times more than 30 mins), and has hung up on me several times without letting me finish my sentence. I got so mad, I ran down the hallway and practically screamed at her to start doing her job. I had all the nurses attention.

My mom told me maybe I should calm down. For the most part, I have been much calmer since I haven't been working. But when it comes to my health and people in the medical industry, I refuse to back down. Some jobs you can get by with slacking off or taking your time, but when it comes to patient's health, often times there is no room for mistakes.  

I was on about 3 chemos a day and one protective shot which I got once every 3 hours. The experience wasn't as bad as I thought it may be, but hopefully it will not get any worse over the next week. Sometimes it takes awhile for all the side effects to set in.

What gives me comfort now is that I know what's ahead. I have been given every chemo/drug that I will.. so no more surprises. It's kind of scary when you start a new drug and they mention all the hundreds of side effects. (But if you look at a bottle of aspirin, it usually has a long list as well).

THREE WEEKS OFF from chemo. How will I be able to handle it??? :-) Thanks again to everyone for their nice words, cards, and encouragement.