Thursday, June 02, 2005

Another day down

Today it was back at the hospital for another spinal tap. I had chemo placed into my spinal column again. I am being treated as if lymphoma cells are there.. just as a preventive measure.

The big problem of today was MOUTH SORES. I have so many sores in my mouth and all down my throat that it gave me a fever and made me feel terrible. I have white patches all over the place and it makes it difficult to swallow and eat/drink.

After having my 2nd spinal tap (which was really not bad at all) I had to go back to the doctors office to have some fluids given to me via IV. (I can't swallow to drink enough). I was given some painkillers and more medicine for my sores. Hopefully they will go away soon because if it gets to the point I cannot swallow at all.. I will be admitted back to the hospital and have fluids in my IV and worse case scenario have a feeding tube. But I don't think it will have to come to that.

My nurse today noticed the arm that has my IV port was swollen. We also noticed I don't have full range of motion in my left arm. So tomorrow, it's back to the hospital. It looks likely I may have developed a type of blood clot. I don't have any pain or anything in my arm but it feels weird not being able to move it all the way.

The excellent news for me is that I have pretty much made it through th first cycle of treatment. I will have to go to the doc office every week for Rituxian, but it doesn't have the nasty side effects of chemo.

If I can just manage these terrible, painful mouth sores and continue to eat something, I will be OK. I have already lost 10 pounds in one week and don't want to lose to much more.