Wednesday, June 01, 2005

2 weeks down

Hard to believe it.. I have made it 2 weeks into treatment.

My mom was suppose to leave and go back to Tallahassee, but I had to ask her to stay. This morning I felt so bad I couldn't even wake up. I had to take a shower, rest. Then go brush my teeth and rest. I had to wait awhile until I could get dressed and putting my jeans on seemed next to impossible.

I somehow made it to the car and in the doctors office. All of the nurses had to see me and everyone could tell that the treatment was finally catching up with me.

New side effects I have (besides feeling very ill) are mouth sores and acne. During my teen years, I had a little acne, but never anything like this. I have it all over my face, my head, and my shoulders. I look like I am 15.

My mouth is very sore (my taste is long gone) and it's hard to eat. I have a sore throat on my left side which makes it difficult to swallow.

I probably feel better NOW than I have for days. This morning it was hard work just to keep my head up or talk.

This is going to be a long ride. At least I will have a cure at the end, but most cancer patients get chemo every week or so and this nearly everyday thing is taking a toll on my body.

Tomorrow I have another spinal tap and will get chemo in my spinal column. I really don't mind doing it. At first, the spinal taps were something that I dreaded but they really aren't that bad when you have a good antithesiologist (sp?) doing it. And it only takes about 15 minutes.

The really good news is that after tomorrow, I will not have any chemo until June 16 when I am admitted back to the hospital. I will have to continue going to the doc to have my blood levels checked and have Rituxian treatments. But I can handle that. Basically the way my chemo regimen works is that they nearly poison you to death then give you a week or two of nothing so you can recover to be poisoned more.

I still have a good attitude, but I think anyone in my situation would be going through the same type of emotions and just want to feel better and have this over with. At least I am making progress.