Thursday, May 19, 2005

Day 2: May 19

Well today was officially the first day of chemo. So far so good. It's very early on, but about the only side effects I notice now is my taste seems to be going away and I feel a little "drugged."

I was suppose to have a spinal tap this morning. The purpose of this was so that a) the doctor can check and see if any lymphoma cells are in my spinal fluid and b) to administer chemo to my my spinal fluid. The doctor tried about 3 or 4 times but wasn't able to "tap" into me, so I will have to have this done this weekend at the hospital by a radiologist or other medical professional. My oncologist doesn't do spinal taps on a regular basis and didn't want me to endure any unneeded pain. He says pregnant women have to have them done so the hospital personnel will be very familiar with the process.

The attempted spinal tap hurt pretty bad.. my back still hurts a little bit. But I just have to stay focused. During the course of my treatment I will probably have 5-6 spinal taps so I will just have to grin and bear it. Not bad considering what would happen if I didn't have these treatments!

I have filled several prescriptions for anti-nausea medication. I rather be prepared if I get those side effects. But for now, it's just wait and see.

I will be admitted to the hospital Saturday morning and should be able to come home by Sunday afternoon. Just having more chemo done and the spinal tap. My treatment is mapped out by days so if it falls on a weekend or holiday, I have to go to the hospital rather than the doctors office.