Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Day One

You always have to begin somewhere. But where do I begin?

It all started about 2 1/2 months ago. I had a cold and soon after noticed a lump on the left side of my neck. I went to the doctor to have it checked out. The ear, nose, throat doctor I saw told me it was probably just a swollen lymph node. I requested a biopsy but the doctor just put me on antibiotics and steroids with the hope the lump would just go away.

Finally, a few weeks later I had a needle biopsy. The pathologist took a quick look at the cells. She said it looked fine but she would have to send it off to have some tests done. She also mentioned she would have to have it sent off to exclude lymphoma--but she doubted that's what it was.

A few days later I got a call back. The doctor told me it was lymphoma and I had cancer.

How do you react to something like this? I didn't really know what to think. I will not be dramatic but my reaction was more of a: Huh? cancer?

I had neck surgery to perform a full biopsy. The surgeon was able to remove 90% of the lump. The surgery wasn't all that bad. My neck was a little sore and I still don't have all my feeling back in it--but it was a breeze. But since lymphoma runs in your lymph nodes (throughout your body) just because the tumor was removed didn't mean that the cancer was gone.

I had more tests done and was told I had Burkitt's lymphoma (non-Hodgkins). This cancer is usually only seen about 100-300 times per year in the United States and usually in children. The bad news about Burkitt's is that it can be very aggressive. The good news is that it can be CURED if one can endure the extensive chemo. The other good thing is that my cancer had not spread beyond my neck. I was in Stage 1 and the doctors could never really explain why it hadn't spread yet.

On 3 occasions, I went to Georgia Cancer Center at Dekalb Medical Center in Decatur, GA. Everytime I was in the office, it took more than a 1 1/2 hour wait. The patients were often upset about waiting.

On Thurs., May 12, in an act of desperation, I started calling oncologist around the Atlanta area. I told them I was supposed to start chemo soon (and I had a very aggressive form of cancer) and told them I needed an appointment right away.

I was able to find an oncologist closer to me (in Snellville, GA). You would not believe the attitude I got from the other office when I told them I was going to get a 2nd opinion. They didn't want to release my medical records because the lady in the office told me she was overworked. I told her my life was on the line and finally she made arrangements for me to get the records to the new doctor.

On Friday, May 13, I had my IV port installed in my left arm. That was a event all in itself. (It took 6 hours to do a 20 min. procedure) and the Dekalb doctors refused to give me sedative. Hopefully that will be the last time ever I have to sit foot in Dekalb Medical Center. I hate that hospital.

Now I am going to Emory Eastside Medical center--which is much, much better. The front office staff is friendly and the nurses really seem to care about the patients. It's a really good atmosphere.

So today, I started treatment with Rituxian. It's a drug that is suppose to suppress the lymphoma but doesn't have the harsh side effects of chemo. Everything went well except my throat got scratchy at one point and when it was over I had a small migraine. But it seems to be passing now. I will officially start chemo tomorrow.

The next 4 months will be difficult. I will be at the doctors office nearly everyday and in and out of the hospital. But I know that I will make it through and I can continue on with my life. One of the main things I would like to do once I am well is finish my first commercial dance song.

I have decided to start this blog to place all my feelings here. At first I wanted to call it "Battling Burkitt's," but that just isn't the right title. I'm calling it "kicking cancer" because that is just about what I am going to do. I am not going to let this disease bring me down! I am just going to focus on God healing me and what a wonderfully life I will be able to live once this is all behind me.

I will write here and share my experiences as much as possible.