Friday, May 20, 2005

Day 3

I must start by saying a big thank you to all my friends and family! Your phone calls and emails have meant so much to me. They've made dealing with this much easier.

CNN, where I work has been awesome as well. You don't know what a good place you work until something bad happens to you. I will be writing my thank you notes but I want to thank the CNN management team for the gifts they sent me. Jim Walton, on behalf of the entire CNN staff sent me an ipod and my department team sent me a $50 gift certificate to amazon.com. It made me a little teary eyed when I got these gifts, I must admit. I am all into music but never had an ipod. It will be great when I am in the chemo room or at the hospital to listen to my favorite tunes. And I will most likely use the gift certificate to buy some books. I can't say the words "thank you" enough!

My mom has told me that I have far too many spelling and gramatical errors in this blog. My response to that is that I think blogger.com needs a better spell check! I've never been one to care much about spelling so long as I can understand what someone is trying to say. Know what I mean?? :-)

I had a minor episode yesterday around 5p that was pretty scary. My heart starting beating like crazy and so I called the doctor's office. I ended up having to call 911 and the parametics came.. but by the time they got there I was OK. They checked my vitals and went on their way.

The doctors and nurses think I had a bad reaction to one of the steriods that I get with my chemo. I go into a state called "vaso-vasal" where my heart rate increases and my blood pressure decreases. It makes you feel like you are dying, but usually what should happen is that you just pass out. I didn't pass out yesterday. And I didn't die! The episode lasted about 15-20 minutes.

I have to take this steriod nearly everyday (via IV) and I hope this vaso-vasal isn't a common occurance.

Yesterday evening the effects of the chemo started to set in. I am beginning to feel very lethargic and sometimes have to motivate myself to do things. I have completely lost all taste in my mouth--but that is something I can live with.

Tommorrow morning I will be admitted to the hosptial. More chemo and they are going to try and do that spinal tap again. I hope they don't find any lymphoma cells in my spinal cord... but I know I have no tumors there and if the cells are there hopefully the chemo they inject will do the trick. Looks like I will be having 6 spinal taps done over 4 months. I don't look forward to it.

So I wil not be able to write tommorrow, I will be in the hosptial. I should be back Sunday afternoon so will write then or Monday.