Thursday, July 28, 2005

My nightmare

Before I get into cancer talk, let me share some good news on the music front.

Tuesday's USA Today had a story about a dance track from Robbins Entertainment that has made it's way to #14 on the Billboard Hot 100. The track is situated next to Will Smith and the new American Idol Carrie Underwood. The interesting thing about the track, a remix called "Listen to Your Heart," is that is was discovered by one of the record label mailroom employees. He took the song and played it for the president of Robbins and the rest of history.

Read the article here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2005-07-25-dmt_x.htm

Now comes my involvement in all this. Last year, at the Billboard Dance Music summit, I so happened to meet a mailroom employee for Robbins Entertainment. It turns out he is the same one that "discovered" the song that has become a hit. I emailed him yesterday and he wrote me back offering to help me and my music however he can. Once I am better, I will count on him to get my song to the Robbins record label execs. I am not counting on a Billboard Hot 100 hit, but a record deal would be nice. If not Robbins, I know one of the dance labels is going to pick up this song.

Now to my terrible hospital stay. I guess the best way to do it is by a timeline:

Saturday, 9AM: I call the nursing supervisor. She tells me there is a "national methotrexate shortage" and there is no reason for me to come in.

Saturday, 1000AM: She calls back and tells me that they now have the medicine.

Saturday, 1130AM: After waiting over 1 hour to get registered, I am finally in my room. I get some blood drawn and they start me on IV-fluids.

Saturday, Noon: I give my first urine sample. My urine has to be at a certain PH to be able to start treatment.

Saturday, 2p: I give my second sample.

Saturday, 330p: The nurses have changed shifts.. I ask if we have any results back. She checks and says that my PH level is good but she has a patient with low blood pressure and can't start my treatment yet.

Saturday, 6p: I finally start treatment. It goes on for 24 hours straight.

Sunday, 9p: I end up finishing the chemo. But have to stay for the recovery drugs. I get these every 6 hours.

Monday 6p: Blood is drawn to see if the methotrexate has cleared my system. I am told by my doctor if we don't have the results by 10p, I will have to stay overnight in the hospital.

Tuesday 7a: The results came back overnight, but the methotrexate levels are still too high for me to be discharged. More blood is drawn.

Tuesday, Noon: Blood is good. I am discharged and have to walk over to the doctors office to get a Neulasta shot.

Tuesday, 1p: The hospital had taken it's time with the blood and urine tests which made me have to stay longer than I should have. My doctor had offered to "take care of me" and order a cab to take me home.

Well, the cab company the doctor's office called was terrible. Didn't speak English. No air conditioning. A nightmare.

I went back to the doctor's office and told them here I had been in the hospital for 4 days and needed to get home. They offered to call another cab company (and even wanted to drive me home but the evil office manager wouldn't let them).

Thank God only one more month of treatment. I have been pretty sick but hanging in there.

I have called my doctors office, insurance company, and the American Cancer society and NONE of them could recommend transportation services. 

I actually am smiling right now. It's just amazing that here in the USA the medical community, with all is millions of dollars, is so behind. My insurance company has offered to pay for airfare and lodging at one of their approved cancer centers. If I have problems in the future (God forbid) I may need to take them up on the offer.

Congrats to Lance Armstrong. Seven times winning is amazing.