Friday, October 03, 2008

SHOWTIME!

I will be admitted this evening.

Tomorrow, they will change my chest line to a smaller one and start the high dose of chemo. Different drug cocktails will go on until Thursday, October 9.

Friday, Oct. 10 is my transplant date and I will receive my stem cells back. (Kind of anti-climatic, in a way).

The most difficult part will be the following week, as my blood counts bottom out and I will have no white cells and get a new immune system.

All in all, I will probably be in the hospital for about 3 weeks.

I'm ready. I've known I would have to go through with this for months. But as it is about to happen--I have one last chance just to feel good and know I probably won't feel as good as I do now for quite sometime. It's an odd feeling.

There are people who don't make it through this procedure, but I know I'll do just fine.

I look at this transplant as a kind of rebirth--a chance to start over again at life and a chance to truly be happy and never take anything for granted. You hear that phrase a lot, to the point it becomes cliche, but for me, it's a very real concept. I'm excited about what this new phase in life has to offer.

The good thing about all of this: it's the final showdown in my 2nd battle with cancer. And it's fight I will win.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to celebrate once this is all behind me and I have my energy back. LOOK OUT world!