Monday, September 15, 2008

Jackpot!

Interesting and unexpected news today! I found out my white blood
count is high enough to start the collection process. (my platelets
remain very low)

I don't know if I ever made it clear but they are using my cells
(auto) transplant instead of my sister. The reason is there are less
risks and it gives us a third option ( which I assure you I will never
need).

So they collect my cells, purify them ( to kill cancer cells that may
still be swimming around) then freeze them to give them back to me
after high dose chemo.

The collection process takes 1-4 days--they collect until they have
enough. The process to collect is called aphresis and I will talk more
about it tomorrow.

I can't leave Houston, so stuck with no power, but at least a cold
front is coming through so that will make it a little more tolerable.