Thursday, October 23, 2008

DISCHARGE DAY !!!!

Well, I made it. I was discharged earlier this morning. 13 days after the transplant and 20 days in the hospital. That's actually about the soonest anyone is usually released.

My white counts are normal. All my blood counts will kind of be in a state of flux as my body tries to normalize itself again. So this means more blood transfusions. And of course, I have to be really careful not to get sick as this is prime time cold and flu season. My immune system is only 13 days old at this point, so if I get sick, it could be a tough fight. A year from now, I will have to get all my childhood shots/immunizations over again as I am not immune anymore.

I thought at this point, I would feel very weak and fatigued. But it's not really like that. I feel more of a weird sensation--like I am in a fog or something and everything seems a little different. This beats feeling bad or like you have been run over by a truck, but I hope I feel normal soon.

30 days after the transplant, I'm finished going to the doctors office on a regular basis. That's only 17 days away.

That is one of of the most interesting things about being a cancer patient. You are diagnosed, you go through treatment, then when it's all over, you are kind of thrown back into the real world wondering what the heck just happened over the past few months. But one thing is for sure: you don't take ANYTHING for granted in life.