Friday, October 17, 2008

Transplant + 7

I thought the worst was behind me.

Last night, for no particular reason, I felt like death. It was
horrible. Before now, having food poisoining a few years back was the
worst i have ever felt. This topped that. Finally, I was able to go to
sleep.

This morning, I woke up feeling like roadkill. Just as if I was lying
on a highway and car tires were rolling over me going 60 mph.

Keep in mind, I know this will pass. And I know this will make me
stronger in the end. But I also feel it's my duty to be honest and
upfront about what this process is like. Trust me, I am not being
dramatic here--I'm just giving you a glimpse of the hell stem cell
transplant patients face. (and I'm a young guy that is doing well
through the process!)

I'm basically feeling the effects of all the chemo I had when the
process started. I haven't had an immune system for days now, and let
me tell you I can't wait to get it back.

I am now 7 days past the transplant... So anytime over the next few
days, those transplanted cells will finally start producing white
blood cells. The doctor tells me I'm going to have a very quick
turnaround when that happens.

Until then, I just have to stay strong... And when those ill feelings
come, do anything possible to focus on not thinking about how horrible
I feel.