Monday, October 13, 2008

Transplant + 3

Today, I found out I have 0.2 white blood cells which means no immune
system. The good news is that I am probably at the beginning of the
worst part, and by the end of the week, counts will be on the upswing.
(maybe even sooner).

The nurses have told me don't worry about eating. Anytime I do try and
eat (even liquids) I vomit it up and makes me feel worse. They say
most patients don't even think about food when they are where I am
now. I must say, I am a little hungury, but it's going to take some
more time. I never really thought about how everything must be in the
right place and condition for a human being to consume food.

The past 2 days, my goals have been as simple as get out of bed and
walk around the nurses station. Or the simple act of taking a shower
which can take a lot out of you. I think I have lost about 10 pounds
in just over a week.

One day at a time. That cliché rings so true giving this situation.
All things being said, I'm actually doing very well as a transplant
patient and keeping my goals and knowing that I'm gonna enjoy life
like never before once this is all behind me.

This is a rites of passage like none other... But I wish it on no one.
The hospital and the nurses have been great and made for a much better
experience thus far...=