Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Transplant + 4

I'm still hanging in there. It's amazing how slow the days go by.
Thank goodness for Family Feud, Antiques Roadshow, Deal or no Deal,
Judge Judy, etc.. Never been much of a coach potato, but that's all to
do when you are waiting for you stem cells to start making blood cells.

I did find out I have no white blood cells that can be counted. (which
also probably means no lymphoma cells left)! My reds and platelets
have been hanging in there, but I will probably need a transfusion or
two in the coming days.

Finally, the nurses are warning me at anytime I could spike a fever
from any infection. What they then do is give antibiotics and let the
fever ride itself out which could be days. Can't give Tylenol because
it can mask possible infection.

So I am hoping for the best. Making it out "good" through a stem cell
transplant is kind of like making it out good through a hurricaine--
damage is very relative.. But everyone continues to tell me that I am
really doing great so far... And while this is no doubt hell, I know I
have one heck of a life ahead of me...