Thursday, October 16, 2008

Transplant + 6

The past 24 hours have been quite interesting to say the least. It's kind of hard to know where to begin...

The mouth sores I had were very bad and painful. So yesterday, my nurse suggested that I take a morphine-like drug through my IV. The pain subsided a little--but I vomited several times and felt horrible.

Then, I spiked a little fever, which meant I had to be put on new IV antibiotics, and be sent for a chest X-ray, and more detailed blood tests.

I really felt horrible during this time.

During the night, the pain was so bad, I couldn't sleep. It became difficult to talk. They gave me more of the morphine drug--but honestly it didn't really seem to help any. You know you are facing a lot of pain when morphine doesn't help. That being said, I had felt worse 3 years ago when I got mouth sores then and my fever shot up.

This morning's blood tests revealed my platelets and red cells had also taken a nose dive. No wonder I felt to terrible.

I got out of the bed to use the restroom, and my heart started racing. The nurse ran my vitals again and suggested that I stay seated at all times, because if I stood up, my heart was going to start racing again. My mouth sores, this morning, were hurting worse than ever so I was given more pain medicine.

When the doctor made the rounds, he said my mouth sores were some of the worst he'd seen. Keep in mind, during the whole time, yes, I am in pain, but it seems like everyone else was more worried about it that I was.

So around 11a, I got my platelet infusion. And as I type now, I am getting my blood transfusion. A blood transfusion may seem like a scary thing, but when you are short of blood, it's about the best thing that can happen. I can now stand up and my heart doesn't start racing.



Amazingly enough, the mouth sores are feeling better. I won't have another blood test until tomorrow morning--but it looks like my body may be starting to produce some white blood cells. It could happen anytime over the next couple of days, and when I have more white cells, that means the transplant is working.

This whole process is so crazy--and such a rollercoaster ride. Yes, you feel bad, but the crazy part about it is just wondering what's going to happen next and how you are going to feel in a few hours.

But I really do think the worst is behind me. And as each day passes, it's going to get easier and easier.