Monday, October 27, 2008

Chest Line REMOVED !

Just about 1 hour ago, I had my chest line removed. It was very simple... the nurse told me to take a deep breath and with a simple tug, it was out.

If you have ever been a cancer patient, you know the feeling that comes with having the line removed. It's really the first sign that you are becoming "normal" again--or a non-patient.

I've had to cover the line with Press and Seal, not get it wet, have it hanging out---in addition to flushing it every day and changing the dressing once a week. No more! The line is out and I am free.

My blood counts remain very low, but not enough for a transfusion. My major complaint now is that I have a terrible taste in my mouth that never goes away. It's not just a bad taste, I mean, it's terrible. Kind of like always having the feeling you've taken a sip of Windex. It should go away in a few weeks.

So I will probably be monitored in Houston closely for the next few weeks and then head to Florida for awhile. I still have very low energy and have to stay away from people for awhile until my counts normalize and my new immune system has a chance to build itself up. But all things considered, I am doing great and starting to realize I really did beat Burkitt's twice.