Friday, August 11, 2006

Just because they may sound kind of the same, doesn't mean they are the same

So I found out yesterday, the pathologist said the early test showed signs of abnormal lymphocytosis not lymphoma. There is a big difference between the two. One is cancer, and one is not. The surgeon who did my neck surgery thought they were one and the same and told me my cancer was back. Keep in mind, he called me with the information on my car ride home from surgery. To detect the presence of lymphoma would have taken at least 48 hours. Now I know.

So what caused the lump?? All tests conducted for any underlying infection have proven negative, but the final pathology shows I had lymphocytosis.

According to the Mayo Clinic website:

"Lymphocytosis is an abnormal increase in the number of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell. White blood cells help fight infection.
Lymphocytosis isn't a disease but a sign of an underlying problem. It causes no symptoms and may be found incidentally on routine blood tests done for some other reason. The most common cause is a viral infection".


So the bottom line is that this could have happened to anyone. Anyone could have the flu, a stomach virus, or eat food that was contaminated or improperly cooked and get a lump on their neck as a result of your body fighting off infection. Kind of odd to think about it, but since I show no signs of sickness and have no symptoms, there is really nothing to worry about.

I am glad at the outcome, but after 3 weeks away from work, I need a vacation from these doctors.