Monday, August 07, 2006

Pick a doc, any doc

So today, I was on the phone making all the calls I could.

I started by calling the Cancer Resource department for my insurance company (United Health Care) which is surprisingly a great resource. The lady on the other end of the line remembered me from last time around and gave me the names of hospitals that have clinical trials in Burkitt's-or at least some specialty in lymphoma. It's kind of weird, because you just randomly call a hospital office, tell them your sob story and they get back with you. I don't know what happens in between. I'm still waiting to hear back.

I also got a call back from Dr. Otis Brawley from Emory. He was out of the office but called me personally and has setup an appointment for me to see a doctor on Friday at Emory that has specialized experience in lymphoma. Since this is the 2nd time around for me, I really have to make sure that I get the proper treatment. Despite some bad experiences with doctors in the past, I know that there are some excellent ones out there that do care about patients--and I remain hopefully that I will find an excellent, intelligent doctor.

So I see the surgeon again on Wednesday.. I see my old oncolgist tomorrow afternoon, and I will see the new one on Friday. The ball is now rolling towards me getting better and beating this thing called cancer for the second time.