Thursday, August 03, 2006

Moving forward...

Yesterday I made another appointment with another ENT doc. The orginal doctor was not returning calls and it was really somewhat crazy.

So Friday (tommorrow), I will have surgery to remove the small lump. Yesterday, I went and had another CT scan and then went to the hospital for pre-op.

I'm glad to finally be moving forward to find out what this is--but it's kind of sad it took a month to make this happen. The nurse at the hospital and the lady that operated the CT machine (who's young daughter is about to finish 2 years of lukemia treatment), both were AMAZED that the doctors blew off my request for a biopsy sooner given my medical history.

Of course, this bump may be nothing, and I hope that it is--but glad that I will know for sure.

That being said, it's not a good feeling to have all these scars all over the place and to feel sick all the time and different than everyone else my age who is healthy and enjoying life.

Yesterday, I ran into one of the ladies that works at the hospial admissions (one of the nice ones) that I met last summer. She told me that a few weeks earlier, a young guy came in with testicular cancer. She told him my story and how I always kept the right attitude and she saw me go through the entire process. She said his eyes lit up when she told the story and he walked away feeling inspired. To think that something like that would have ever happened, from someone I never reallyknew I would ever impact--well, that is a very special feeling. It doesn't make this all worthwhile, but it makes it a little more tolerable.

Amazingly, I am now calm and relaxed about the entire procedure I will have, and the outcome--whatever it may be. If it is nothing, I will walk away enjoying life and respecting life like never before... if it's cancer again, then I will just have to go to war for round 2.