Friday, August 04, 2006

HERE WE GO AGAIN

YES. LOOKS LIKE I AM IN FOR ROUND TWO.

I went in for the neck surgery today and everything went well. I had the option of waiting for the doctor, but decided to go home. I got a phone call from the surgeon who said they did some early tests and it came back as lymphoma. I don't know if it's Burkitt's--but I know my CT scan in May came back clean so the tumor developed in two months. I'm not a doctor (although I am obviously smarter than some) but I would say it's most likely Burkitt's again.

So soon, I will have to go through staging and see just how bad it is. 

I'm not happy with the news, but taking it well. Nothing I can do but keep a good attitude.

I got the name of a oncologist at Emory/Winship from Sanjay Gupta at CNN but if that doesn't work out, I may have to travel to go to another hospital like MD Anderson in Houston. Not really sure at this point.

I don't know what treatment they will want to do--I think it's unusual for someone with Burkitt's to have it reoccur--but it usually does in the first year. Best case, I will repeat what I did in 2005--worse case I will have to get a stem cell transplant and go on something more high dose than before.

The thing I really have in my favor is that the cancer responds well to the chemotherapy. In my case, I simply had some microscopic cancer cells that hung around and reproduced themselves. Here we go again....