Wednesday, August 09, 2006

OH WHAT A DAY....

This was written on Tues. Aug 8. My internet connection was down so posting it a day later..

Oh what a day

I am shocked. OK. I am beyond shocked. I don't know if anything will ever top this.

Today I went to the doctor's office to see my oncologyogist. The staff seemed upbeat which seemed a bit odd to me given the circumstances I was facing.

The doctor came in and said that he had a look at the full pathology and it showed NO SIGNS OF CANCER. That's right NO CANCER.

The news I got Friday was based on a prelimary pathology review by a pathologist at Emory Eastside. I knew that, but keep in mind, for the needle biopsy I was told we could get a positive (which meant it was positive) or a false negative.. or a true negative.

So a few hours after surgery, if a surgeon were to tell you the pathologist took a look at the sample and it appears to be lymphoma, and he goes on to tell you to consult with an oncologist what would you do? You are not really assuming anything in being told that you have cancer you are being told it appears you have cancer so you prepare for it.

You think about everything you have been through, you wonder if you will live or die or if you can make it you start preparing everything. You are really down but try to stay positive. You do a desperate search for a good doctor.

I have experienced many things in my lifetime, but nothing ever this dramatic. I have cancer, go through the treatment, wait 10 months later, a lump pops up on my neck, I have surgery and told it looks like lymphoma then told, nope, you are OK after all, no cancer.

Keep in mind, last year, when I first found out about my Burkitt's, the pathologist who reviewed the slides said everything looked OK. That time when the full report came back it tested positive for lymphoma. This time the reverse happened.

I still want to have everything reviewed again. But I can't believe it. I could write more but don't know what else to say. I AM CANCER FREE.

My heart goes out to all the people out there who have beat recurrent cancer. They make the rest of us who have only had cancer once look like a bunch of wimps.