Friday, June 27, 2008

Why NOT me?

When something bad happens to some people, the first question they ask is "Why me?"

The first time I had cancer, I never once asked myself this question. I don't know why. I just figured it was something I had to deal with it.

Yet again, I find it impossible to ask "why me"? The only question I can ask is "why not me?"

It's a difficult concept to accept, but let's face it: bad things are going to happen to SOMEBODY. Accidental deaths will occur. A family member will be murdered. A child somewhere will have a disease and die. These are things most of us would rather not think about. But they are part of life just as much as anything else.

So now, I find myself with cancer a second time. At first, I will admit, I thought this might be it for life as I know it. But then, about a week later, I thought: I do not have to give into this! If I can make it through this (and I believe I will) and can go on to lead a better life and to inspire others through my journey--then that's an awesome feeling. Furthermore, I posses that drive and energy to make it. That being said, many people do die from cancer and cancer treatment. And while you may be the most positive person on the face of the planet, if it's your time to die, you will. But deep inside, I don't think this is my time to go.

The past few weeks, I have had to make some difficult decisions. It's amazing how cancer makes you do that. You really have to put your health first. Everything else takes a back seat. This has not been an easy time for me. 

That being said, I am happier than ever. I am happy that I have life. I am happy about what the future holds. And I will be so happy once this is all over and I will have my life to live again.

So now I want to challenge everyone reading this. Stop and think about just how many things you have to be thankful for. Even if you are having a bad day, I think you will be amazed at how much good is around you. Don't ever ask "why me"? Instead, ask yourself "why NOT me"? and figure out how you can make the best of any situation life throws at you.